Nominations for the 2018 Community Champion Awards are now closed. Thank you to all who nominated champions in your community. We received a total of 136 nomination forms. Below is the list of shortlisted nominees.
The Community Champion Awards recognise truly inspirational achievements from people in North Lincolnshire communities. All too often, achievements are not highlighted but these awards make sure that people are rewarded for their amazing compassion and hard work.
- Young Volunteer of the Year (sponsored by Britcon UK Ltd) - Ethan Borg-Jackson and Jaden Miall
- Adult Male Volunteer of the Year (sponsored by Ongo) – Derek Cartwright and David Poulter
- Adult Female Volunteer of the Year (sponsored by Ongo) – Mary Fish and Alice Green
- Anti-bullying Champion (sponsored by Kapil Care) – Lucy Button and Chris Donnelley
- Personal Courage (sponsored by Clugston Construction) – Christian Backhouse, Rosie Parkin and Joy Simon
- Sports Achiever of the Year (sponsored by Hornsbys Travel) – Tim Corlett and Gemma Scott
- Young Sports Achiever of the Year (sponsored by North Lindsey College) - Ebony Jones and Luke Oades
- Young Arts Heritage Achiever of the Year (sponsored by QualitySolicitors Bradbury Roberts & Raby – Lewis Kerr and Mia Singh
- Adult Arts Heritage of the Year (sponsored by The Baths Hall ) – Scunthorpe Drama Federation, Crystal Bermingham – Evolution Dance Academy and Robert Fish
- Outstanding Achievement Young (sponsored by North Lindsey College) – Corey Harkins and Thomas Sharpless
- Outstanding Achievement Adult (sponsored by Road Traffic Solutions) – Dorothy Fagge and Karen Gray
- Community Champion of the Year (sponsored by Jotun Paints (Europe) Ltd) – Dave Capell and Alan Jones
- Outstanding Contribution to a Safer Community (National Online Safety Ltd) – Mavis Smith and Daniel Whitehead
- Outstanding Contribution to Learning Community (sponsored by John Leggott College) – Changing Lives through Changing Minds and Jason Frary
- Outstanding Contribution to a Stronger Community (sponsored by Scunthorpe Telegraph) –Peter and Kate Barnard and Tony Bartlett
- Community Contribution to Crime Reduction (sponsored by Humberside Police) – Malcolm Fowler, Graham McNally and Tony Smith
- Community Project of the Year (GS Kelsey Construction) – Network Café and Starlight Arts
- Community Sports Team of the Year (sponsored by Active Humber) – Scunthorpe Rugby Club – Girls Section and Jacqui Saxon
- Young Carer of the Year (sponsored by Paul Fox Estate Agents) – Billy Bryan and Cameron Hill
- Adult Carer of the Year (sponsored by Marjara Care Group) – Nicola Crabtree and Elizabeth Riley
- Services to School Governance (sponsored by Know Media) – Mike Galey and John Veall
- Act of Bravery (sponsored by Humberside Fire and Rescue) – Tony Laynes and Paul Young
- Lifetime Achievement (sponsored by Pepperells Solicitors) – Ann Brown and Edward Buckley
The winners will be announced at the awards ceremony on Thursday 22 November at The Baths Hall in Scunthorpe.
Cllr John Briggs, Mayor of North Lincolnshire, said:
“All of the nominations highlighted all the great people in North Lincolnshire who go above and beyond to help others or achieve fantastic things. There were some truly wonderful stories. It’s never an easy task shortlisting nominations as they are all worthy winners. Each and every nominee should be extremely proud of themselves. Thank you to all the sponsors who helped with the judging – we couldn’t have done it without you.
“Congratulations to everyone who was nominated and those who have been shortlisted. I’m really looking forward to the awards ceremony next month; it is always a superb evening filled to the brim with community spirit.”