[ skip to content]

Subscribe to updates
Education Welfare

Education Welfare

The education law states that parents are responsible for ensuring that their registered children of compulsory school age (five to 16 years old) attend school regularly. The Education Welfare Service has a duty to make sure that parents and carers undertake this responsibility.

We play a key role in:

  • improving attendance at school
  • reducing truancy
  • tackling persistent absences

We work closely with schools and a number of agencies to promote children's welfare and their education.

Referrals are received from schools. Each school has a named Education Welfare Officer. We offer support and advice to other services, agencies and parents and carers.

Education Welfare Penalty Notice

Pay your Education Welfare Penalty

Education Welfare Officers provide advice and support to parents and carers to:

  • help resolve problems that affect the school attendance of children and young people
  • carry out their legal responsibilities
  • help parents and carers to take full advantage of their children's educational provision and maximise their life chances and opportunities.

We can give advice on a range of issues including:

  • school attendance
  • registration and categories of absence
  • leave of absence
  • exclusion from school or educational provision
  • child employment and entertainment licensing
  • legal action relating to attendance issues
  • parenting contracts
  • truancy sweeps
  • Early Help Assessment
  • Body of Persons Licence
  • chaperone service

We have a duty to identify and track children who are missing education. The Children Missing Education Officer (CME) from the Education Welfare Service undertakes this duty.

If parents choose to educate their children at home (elective home education), the council has a duty to be satisfied that these children are being educated appropriately. This duty is jointly undertaken with the council's Ethnic Minority Traveller Achievement Service (EMTAS).

The law governing child employment exists to protect children against exploitation. It applies to children of compulsory school age who have a part-time job. The law and local bylaws govern employment of children.

It is an employer's responsibility to ensure that:

  • no child under 14 years of age is employed (a child of 13 may be employed in one of the permitted types of employment listed in the bylaws)

  • no child is employed in a prohibited occupation

  • children are employed for the correct number of hours

  • children are dressed and equipped suitably for the job indoors and out

  • children are employed only in light work  

Useful documents

 If you do not inform your child's school when you:

  • move

  • emigrate

  • decide to return late from family holiday

  • decide to home educate

  • privately educate

then your child or children will be described as a 'child missing from education' until you:

  • inform the school that they are leaving

  • explain why they have not returned to school

  • explain what what education provision they will be receiving

What to do to avoid this:

  • if you move or emigrate always give the school your forwarding details and information about the new school

  • if you decide to access private education you will need to give the school the full details of the new school

  • if you are delayed on your return from holiday let the school know

  • if you decide to educate your child at home you will need to contact the Education Welfare Service (EWS) for information on how to do this

  • if you are from the Traveller, Romany or Gypsy community and will be moving at any time during the school year, you will need to tell the school where you are moving to and the education provision your child or children will be receiving. The Ethnic Minority and Traveller Achievement Service (EMTAS) are also available on 01724 297789 for advice and guidance

Home schooling

Parents have the primary responsibility for ensuring their children receive a suitable education.

Although most parents choose to have their children educated in school, a few parents prefer an education based at home and in the community. Whichever course you take, it is good to talk with your children and take their wishes and feelings about their education into account.

If the decision to home educate has arisen because of a disagreement with a teacher or school, and the issue has not been resolved following discussions with the headteacher or governors, please contact us before you withdraw your child from school.

Similarly, if you have been unable to secure a place at your child’s preferred school, officers will be pleased to discuss the options available to you.

Useful websites for parents who home school:

From 6 February 2015, The Children (Performance and Activities) (England) Regulations 2014 came into force, replacing the old legislation of 1968. 

Any licences issued from that date will be in line with new legislation.  Licences issued prior to 6 February 2015 will still be in line with the old regulations of 1968. 
If you have any questions, please contact the Child Employment and Performance Licence Officer on 01724 297502
Child Employment and Performance Licence Officer
Education Welfare Service
North Lincolnshire Council
Church Square House
High Street
DN15 6NL
Alternatively, please go to the National Network for Child Employment and Entertainment where you will find further information regarding the updates.

Contact details


01724 297502

Education Welfare Service
Church Square House
DN15 6NL

Opening hours

Monday to Thursday: 9am to 5pm

Friday: 9am to 4.30pm 

Last updated: 06/06/2016
How would you rate this page?