Work to improve Scunthorpe library and turn it into a new community hub called Scunthorpe Central, catering for a wide range of needs, is nearing completion. It will become a focal point for people to meet, borrow books, access job and training opportunities and get housing and health advice, plus a whole range of information.
The Base will need to close for two weeks from Monday 30 April until Scunthorpe Central opens on Monday 14 May. This is essential to enable staff to move the contents into the new venue.
The Action Station will also move into Scunthorpe Central. To allow this to happen, the Cole Street building will close on 4 May.
Key dates to be aware of:
30 April – The Base closes
4 May – Action Station closes
14 May - Scunthorpe Central will open to the public
You can return your loans to 'drop boxes' at Church Square House reception (open Monday to Friday) and 20-21 Visual Arts Centre (open Tuesday to Saturday). You will not be charged fines that result from this temporary closure, and you can continue to use other libraries in North Lincolnshire.
More information can be found here.
The Central Library is the largest library in North Lincolnshire. There are two public floors in the building.
The library is also the administrative headquarters for North Lincolnshire Libraries and Information Services. Scunthorpe and district Local Link is situated in the Action Station on Cole Street.
Services available in the Central Library
- Books in other languages available for loan
- Children's library with a variety of stock and family-friendly seating areas
- Colour printing and photocopying services
- Family history resources including local parish registers and census returns
- Group activity area
- Lending library including a back stack of out-of-print or hard to obtain titles
- Local history resources including books, maps and trade directories
- Local information
- Public internet access (free for 30 minutes per day)
- Scan to email service
- Study area
- Range of large print and audiobooks in different formats
- Reference library
- Self-service option
You can access the following online facilities from home, even when the library is closed:
Access our Press Reader digital newspapers and magazines
Access our online catalogue or renew a book
Access our ebooks
Access our digital magazines
Complete an online research application
or access our other online resources.