[ skip to content]

Subscribe to updates
Statutory Nuisance

Statutory Nuisance

What is a Statutory Nuisance?

Here are some examples that may represent a Statutory Nuisance:

  • Piles of household waste in a back yard
  • Piles of dog mess in a garden
  • Barking dogs, loud music
  • Smoke from regular garden bonfires
  • Security lighting shining into a bedroom
  • Infestations of pests such as flies
  • Smell from a pigeon loft that is not cleaned out regularly

Part three of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 requires councils to take reasonable steps to investigate and, if appropriate, take formal action on justified complaints of statutory nuisance.

If you make a complaint, we aim to contact you within two working days, either by letter, by telephone, or by visiting you at home.

If we find that a complaint of Statutory Nuisance is justified we will issue an abatement notice. This will be served on the person responsible or the owner/occupier of the premises (as appropriate). The notice orders them to stop the nuisance.

Failure to comply with an abatement notice is an offence. It may result in legal proceedings and if found guilty of an offence the maximum fine is £20,000 and/or six months in prison.

You can report Statutory Nuisance using our online forms:

Report dog mess

Report smoke

Report noise

To report other instances of Statutory Nuisance please contact the Customer Contact Centre.  

Contact details

Opening hours

Monday to Thursday: 8.30am to 5pm

Friday: 8.30am to 4.30pm

Closed Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays

Last updated: 15/11/2016