We use the details you provide about your income, capital and savings in your financial assessment to calculate your 'assessed contribution' which is the amount we require you to pay each week towards the cost of your support. Your assessed contribution depends on your personal circumstances and may be anything from nil up to the full cost of the service.
If you have savings over £23,250, you will not be eligible for financial support from the council and will need to pay the full cost yourself.
When we complete your Customer Financial Statement, we will:
- offer you a benefit check to ensure you are receiving the correct benefits.
- work out your assessed contribution based on the information you supply.
- consider any additional costs you may have due to your disability, known as 'Disability Related Expenditure disregards'. You can read more about Disability Expenditure disregards on the how much will I pay for my care page.
We will take most types of income into account and include them in the financial assessment calculation. However, there are some types of income that we will ignore in full or part. These are:
- the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance/Personal Independence Payment
- any (employed and self employed) earnings
- war pension
- any benefits paid to your children
- any benefits paid solely to your partner
- Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction
We will ignore the first £14,250 of your savings.
If you have savings over £14,250 but below £23,250, we assume a weekly 'tariff income' of £1 for every £250 over the limit.
From your income, capital and savings, we will deduct the appropriate amount of Income Support plus a further 25 per cent. This amount varies between individuals depending on your age, marital status and level of disability.
We then deduct any Disability Related Expenditure disregards to which you are entitled.
Your weekly contribution will then be based on the remaining income.
A breakdown of this calculation will be sent to you when you are notified of your contribution.
For more detailed information on how we calculate your contribution read the Paying for your care at home or in the community leaflet [PDF, 306Kb].