[ skip to content]

Subscribe to updates
Accessing your personal information

Accessing your personal information

What is a subject access request?

Under the General Data Protection Regulation an individual has the right to request personal information that an organisation holds about them. You can do this by making a subject access request.

What is personal information?

Like most organisations, we need to keep personal information so we can provide the best service to our customers.

We provide a range of services to keep personal information about each person we work with. This can be:

  • basic details about you
  • records of the contact we have had with you
  • decisions made about the support and services you need
  • relevant information from other people who know you 

How do I make a request?

The request must be made in writing by email, by post, or verbally by calling us or asking one of our officers.

If you want to see the information we hold about you, we would prefer you to complete the Subject Access Request Form [DOC, 145Kb] and send it to the Customer Service Team at Church Square House to help us understand what information you would like to access.

We will also ask you for proof of identity, proof of address, and the written consent of the person, if you are making a request on behalf of someone else.

If a request is made by a solicitor on your behalf, they will also need to provide a notice of permission to act for you or your written consent.  

Can I request information about someone else?

You can make a request on behalf of someone else with their written permission. If the person wants us to respond to you with the information, they must say this in their permission.

Information about children may be given to a person with parental responsibility, but only if this is in the best interests of the child to whom it belongs.

When a child is considered mature enough to understand their right to access information, and the information they may be given, it becomes the child's decision whether or not to allow anyone else to see their information.  A 12 year old is generally considered able to make their own request.

Information about adults who do not have the mental capacity to manage their own life may be given to an individual who holds Power of Attorney or who has been appointed to make decisions like this by the Court of Protection.

How long does it take?

We will acknowledge your request within five working days. We aim to respond to each request within 40 calendar days from the receipt of your written request. 

It is also important you write as much detail as possible about the type of information you are looking for. The more specific you are about what you want to know, the quicker we can respond to your request.

Accessing your personal information leaflet

 All this information is available to download in the Subject Access leaflet [PDF, 232Kb].


Contact details


01724 297000

North Lincolnshire Council
Customer Services
Church Square House
31 - 41 High Street
DN15 6NL

Opening hours

Monday to Thursday: 9am to 5pm

Friday: 9am to 4.30pm

Last updated: 13/08/2018