Three and four year olds
All three and four year olds are entitled to 15 hours of free childcare per week (for 38 weeks per year) at a private nursery, school nursery, pre-school or registered childminder who is approved to offer the funding. The funding is available the term after the child turns three as follows:
|Child turns three between ||Funding begins |
| 1 January and 31 March |
| 1 April and 31 August |
| 1 September and 31 December |
You can ask to reduce the weekly funding to 11 hours a week and use it over the full 52 weeks of the year. Equally, you do not have to use the full 15 hours if you do not want your child to attend for the full amount.
If you need your child to attend for more than 15 hours per week you can pay for additional hours yourself as long as the childcare provider has these hours available. From September 2017 some children will be eligible for up to 30 hours of funded childcare - further information below.
To claim your funded place simply contact the childcare provider you wish to use to see if they have a place available. You can get a list of the childcare providers in your area by contacting us on email@example.com or 01724 296629.
The provider will complete a form with you for the funding when your child starts.
The amount of funding available will be increased to 30 hours per week for children of working parents from September 2017.
The extra hours will only be funded where:
- both parents in a couple work and earn at least £120 per week (equivalent of 16 hours at national minimum or living wage), or
- one parent works and the other is unable to work due to disability, illness or other caring responsibilities, or
- a single parent is in work and earns £120 per week, or
- you need the extra childcare to enable you to work.
To check if you are eligible for the additional 15 hours the term after your child turns three and from September 2017 you will need to apply via the HMRC Childcare Service.
If you are eligible you will then be given a unique code which you will need to take to your childcare provider for them to claim the extra funding on your behalf.
Further information on the 30 hours of funded childcare can be found on the Childcare Choices website or contact us at the Family Information Service.
Two year olds
Some two year olds are also eligible for the 15 hours of free funding if they live in North Lincolnshire and their family meets any one of the following criteria:
- Receive Working Tax Credit or Child Tax Credit and have an annual household income, as assessed by HMRC, that does not exceed £16,190
- Receive Income Support
- Receive Income-based Job Seekers Allowance
- Receive Income related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support through part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act
- The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- The Working Tax Credit four week run on
Or if they:
- Have a current Statement of Special Educational Needs (SEN) or a Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC)
- Attract Disability Living Allowance
- Are Looked After by the local council
- Have left the care of the local council through a Special Guardianship Order, Adoption or Child Arrangement Order
To apply for a free childcare place for your two year old, visit our free childcare page and complete the online application form.
Alternatively call us on 01724 296629 for more information and a paper application form.
*Two year olds will not be able to access the maximum 30 hours of funded childcare per week from September 2017 even if both parents work as this is only available to children aged three or four.