[ skip to content]

Subscribe to updates
Direct Payments

Direct payments

What is a direct payment?

A person with parental responsibility for a disabled child may be given money to pay for a service, instead of the local council arranging that service on their behalf. People who get this money must use it to arrange services to meet the assessed needs of the child or family. It is not extra income to be spent as they choose.

Who can receive a direct payment?

  • A disabled person aged 16 to 17-years-old may receive a direct payment to purchase their own services.
  • A person with parental responsibility for a disabled child may receive a direct payment to purchase services to meet the needs of the child.
  • A carer of a disabled child may receive a direct payment to purchase services to meet their needs as a carer.
  • A disabled child or their carer is eligible for direct payments if he/she is assessed as being eligible for a service either through a Disability Assessment or a Carer’s Assessment. 
  • An adult who is assessed as being eligible for care support.

How do I get an assessment?

You can access an assessment of your child and family’s needs through a specialist disability social worker based at Brumby Learning Centre, 01724 407988.


The money must be spent to buy the support/services that the child or family has been assessed as needing. Home care support, short breaks through day care, or out of school clubs, and overnight respite can be typically purchased using direct payments.

You cannot spend the payment on council services – such as residential/nursing care, to pay a person who lives in the same property, or to pay ordinary bills such as gas, telephone and food.

A direct payment gives families more control over how, when and where support services are arranged, and enables them to arrange a more flexible service that can be tailored to meet their individual needs.

Users of the payments must manage their care and the funds, with help if necessary. If a direct payment user employs their own staff to act as 'personal assistant', they still have the tasks of recruiting suitable staff and ensuring they fulfil the legal requirements of responsible employers. There is a support service contracted by the council to assist people in these tasks.

How much will be paid to me?

The amount of money paid will depend upon the level of support and services that the child and family are assessed as needing.

How is the money paid?

You must open a separate chequebook account for direct payments. Payments will be made four-weekly in advance directly into your account. You will have to provide records of how you have used the money to pay for the help you need. You will be provided with simple forms for this and can have help to complete the forms.

Will direct payments affect my benefit entitlements or the amount of tax I have to pay?

No – this is because direct payments do not form any part of a person’s ordinary income. They are separate funds provided to buy the care and support services the family is assessed as requiring.

What happens if I start having a direct payment and find it does not work for me?

You simply tell us you no longer wish to have a direct payment, and the council will arrange to provide services to meet your needs.

What help and support is available to manage direct payments?

Help can be given with all aspects of the process including managing the money, employing someone to provide the required services and keeping records. This can be provided by your Social Worker, Direct Payments Support Worker or Penderells Trust who provide independent advice and support to direct payments users in North Lincolnshire. Penderells can also help with practical tasks such as staff recruitment and payroll services.

Contact details


01724 407988

Children's Disability Services

Brumby Learning Centre 
Grange Lane North 
North Lincolnshire
DN16 1BN

Opening hours

Monday to Thursday: 9am to 5pm

Friday: 9am to 4.30pm

Last updated: 16/02/2017
How would you rate this page?