[ skip to content]

Subscribe to updates
Premises Licence - Grant - Variations - Reviews

Premises licence - Grant, Full Variation, Minor Variation, Reviews

Premises licences are issued by the licensing authority in which the premises are located.

It is advisable to apply a minimum of three months before you intend to open the premises.

If you want to sell alcohol, the personal licence holder will need to complete a consent form.

The form of notice must be displayed at the premises for a minimum of 28 days and advertised as a notice in a local circulating paper within 10 working days after application has been made to the authority.  

All documents supporting this application must be supplied within three working days, otherwise the application may be deemed incomplete and be rejected. The application process will not commence until all information has been received.

Downloadable application forms


If a licence holder wishes to make changes to a premises licence, a variation application needs to be made.

The minor variation process can only be used for variations that could have no adverse impact on the promotion of any of the four licensing objectives. These are:

  • The prevention of crime and disorder
  • Public safety
  • The prevention of public nuisance
  • The protection of children from harm

A notice must be displayed at the premises for 28 days for a full variation and 10 working days for a minor variation.

All documents supporting these applications must be supplied within three working days, otherwise the application may be deemed incomplete and be rejected. The application process will not commence until all information has been received.

Downloadable forms

What is a review?

An objection, complaint, concern or evidence gathered regarding the activities of licensed premises (such as pubs, clubs, off licences, takeaways). For example, licensed activities taking place outside the permitted hours, volume of entertainment, music excessively loud, or selling alcohol to someone who is drunk, or to children.

What is evidence?

Anything you see or hear (preferably backed up by another person) which must be recorded, for example in writing (detailed diary logs), photographs, video, tape recordings, including dates and time.

Who can apply?

Any interested party or responsible authority (or a member of a club - CPCs only) can apply for a review of a premises licence or club premises certificate at any time. An interested party could be a resident or local business that's affected, a responsible authority could be the police, fire brigade or a council service such as Environmental Health or Trading Standards.

Can I complain about anything?

The grounds for review must be in relation to one or more of the licensing objectives:

  • Crime and disorder
  • Public nuisance
  • Public safety
  • Protection of children from harm

Any ground for review will be rejected if it is not relevant to one or more of the licensing objectives, or if it is frivolous, vexatious, or repetitious.

How do I apply?

The applicant must give their application, including all related documents, to the licensing authority. A copy of the application and related documents must be submitted to each responsible authority and also to the licence holder (club), on the same day it is given to the licensing authority.

The licensing authority will then advertise notice of the application in the vicinity of the premises, inviting further representations from interested parties and responsible authorities (and club members). Representations can only be made within a period of 28 consecutive days after receipt of the application.

The notice of application will also be displayed at Church Square House, Civic Centre, and the Local Link office nearest the premises or club between 9.30am and 4.30pm Monday to Friday. The notice will also be advertised on the council's website.

A hearing must be heard by the Licensing Sub-Committee. The sub-committee have several options available to them, which are:

  • Take no action
  • Modify conditions
  • Exclude activities
  • Remove the DPS
  • Suspend licence for a maximum of three months; or
  • Revoke licence (withdraw certificate).

An appeal may be made against the committee's decision by the applicant, the licence holder (club), or anyone who made representation, by Notice of Appeal to the Magistrates Court within 21 days of notification of the decision of the licensing committee. 

Downloadable application form


Our traded services

Contact details


01724 297750

Licensing Department
PO Box 42
Church Square House
DN15 6XQ

Opening hours

Monday to Thursday:

9am to 12.30pm and 2pm to 4.30pm


9am to 12.30pm and 2pm to 4pm

Last updated: 03/08/2018