[ skip to content]

Subscribe to updates


We recently held a Landlord Forum [PDF, 338Kb] to hear your views on Selective Licensing. Presentations from the Department for Work and Pensions [PDF, 2Mb] and North Lincolnshire Council [PDF, 2Mb] were included.

The Selective Licensing consultation closed on the 26 January. The council will now consider the responses to the consultation and issue a consultation report. In the meantime you can still contact the council with any queries via selectivelicensing@northlincs.gov.uk.

It is important to be aware of the responsibilities you have and what rights your tenant has. You also need to be aware of your responsibilities for maintaining the premises and for the health and safety of your tenants. 

We provide advice and guidance to landlords and property managers on legal requirements for renting out property. We share good practice where this improves housing conditions and reduces the risk of accidents and ill health. We have a duty to discourage the supply of unsafe rented accommodation and to help strengthen the reputation and sustainability of the rented housing market.

We encourage landlords to join the council’s Landlord Accreditation Scheme and a professional body so that they are well informed to run their business in accordance with legal requirements and good practice.

You can manage the property yourself, however if you do not want to you can use a third party to take responsibility:

  • Letting agencies: You can pay a letting agent to manage your property and become the main point of contact for tenants. This means they will handle repairs, rent issues and other problems.
  • Housing associations: If you let your property through a housing association it is possible to protect your income as well as reduce your responsibilities as a landlord. 

Landlord insurance is essential for anyone who is thinking of or is already renting out their property. It is recommended that you purchase landlord insurance, which provides the right protection and additional cover you need as standard.

A tenant also needs contents insurance as they are responsible for their own contents. You are advised to inform your tenant of this.

Although it is not essential, it sometimes helps if you know about the legislation and acts that apply to private landlords and housing. If you wish to view any of these documents you can search the Government legislation database for landlords or housing related documents.

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is now required for all properties being advertised to let. It is a legal requirement that the EPC is shown to prospective tenants so they can see how energy efficient the property is and how this will affect their fuel bills.

There are many ways of saving energy and making homes more energy efficient.

Private sector landlords, since October 2015, are required to have at least one smoke alarm installed on every storey of their properties and a carbon monoxide alarm in any room containing a solid fuel burning appliance, for example, coal fire or wood burning stove.

After that, the landlord must make sure the alarms are in working order at the start of each new tenancy.

Any landlord failing to comply with the requirements could face a £5,000 fine.

For further information please read the statement of principles [PDF, 212Kb] with regard to the smoke and carbon monoxide alarm regulations.

We have a legal responsibility to regulate housing conditions. The Housing Standards team work to address the problem of hazardous homes in North Lincolnshire using the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS).

The Housing Act 2004 gives the council powers to intervene depending on the impact of hazards on health and safety. The Act puts the council under a general duty to take appropriate action in relation to hazards with a more serious risk to health and safety. 

The Housing Enforcement Policy [PDF, 100Kb] covers the way in which the council will deal with homes that have deficiencies giving rise to housing conditions which affect the health and safety of occupants, visitors, the public and neighbourhood.

The landlord is not generally responsible for rebuilding the property in the case of damage by fire, flood or other inevitable accident. 

As a landlord you are legally responsible to keep gas and electrical appliances in safe working order. You can get more information on:

You are obliged to have an annual gas safety inspection carried out on all gas installations and appliances. This must be undertaken by a Gas Safe Registered person competent to do this.

We are responsible for checking Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs) to ensure they are in a satisfactory condition and are safe. The check will also ensure they have a satisfactory means of escape from fire, have sufficient bathrooms and kitchens and have adequate space and proper management.

What is a HMO?

A house in multiple occupation is a house occupied by people who do not form a single household. Examples include:

  • a house let as individual bedsitting rooms
  • a group of rooms on each floor let to single occupants
  • hostels, some hotels and guesthouses
  • lodgings and shared houses 
  • houses converted into self-contained flats

The following are not classed as HMOs:   

  • resident landlords with two separate tenants
  • houses converted entirely into self-contained flats on or after 1 June 1992 or complies with the Building Regulations 1991 approval, where at least one third are owner occupied
  • houses subject to control orders
  • registered providers (such as housing associations)
  • houses registered under the Children Act 1989 or Registered Homes Act 1984
  • educational establishments
  • health service accommodation
  • local council owned property

What are the standards?

A HMO will have to meet the council’s standards. These standards include:

  • adequate means of escape in case of fire and other fire precautions
  • adequate facilities such as kitchens, bathrooms, toilets and wash hand basins
  • requirements on the number of occupants, in respect of the number and size of rooms
  • general housing conditions
  • management standards
  • gas safety 
  • furniture fire safety

Fair rents inspections

The council has no input to determining what is a fair rent for your property, other than what is a reasonable sum for housing benefit.

If you are a landlord or a tenant the following may be useful:


Please contact Environmental Health and Housing on 01724 297000 for further information with regards to the licensing of a House of Multiple Occupation as this information is currently being reviewed.

The scheme aims to encourage and promote good standards of privately rented accommodation. It also seeks to ensure that landlords are aware of their responsibilities. The scheme applies to the private rented sector.

The scheme requires that the following are fair and reasonable:

  • condition of the properties
  • the level of provision of basic amenities
  • management practices

Those who sign up to the scheme must ensure that they comply with their legal duty in respect of the health and safety rights of their tenants.

Compliance with the scheme will ensure that:

  • landlords, tenants and the general public enjoy the benefits of good property conditions, competent management standards and considerate neighbourly behaviour
  • misunderstandings and disputes are reduced
  • where problems do occur they are promptly resolved

How the scheme operates

On application, landlords will

  • provide the council with a list of properties owned or managed by them. These will be held in confidence.
  • provide access to properties for the council to carry out inspections.
  • ensure that properties are free of Category 1 hazards in accordance with Housing Act 2004.
  • ensure that all their properties meet the requirements of the scheme.  Alternatively, bring them up to an acceptable conclusion within a period agreed by the council. Tenants must be informed of this arrangement.
  • be committed to partnership working.

Mr Peter Long/Ms Helen Woollett
Tel: 07885 432037
Membership No: 001

Mr and Mrs Dale
Tel: 01724 875734
Membership No: 002

DDM - The Letting Centre
Tel: 01724 870870
Membership No: 003

Mr Neil Ball
Tel: 07775 571163
Membership No: 004

Mr Gary Atherton
Membership No: 005

Mr David Chambers
Membership No: 006

Mr Andrew Thorne, Trading as TRANSFORM
Membership No: 007

Matt Lusardi
Membership No: 008

Mr Ivor Akester
Membership No: 009

John Lawton
Membership No: 010

Peter Ricketts
Tel: 07771 543181
Membership No: 035

Angela Powell Letting and Property Management
Tel: 01652 654269
Membership No: 012

Ian Denston
Membership No: 013

Mr Steve Catchpole
Tel: 07789 262594
Membership No: 014

Mr Simon Kent
Tel: 07950 023311
Membership No: 015

Mr Glenn Wigelsworth
Tel: 07756 808552
Membership No: 016

Cherie Walters
Membership No: 017

Julie Cook
Membership No: 018

Jon Conroy
Tel: 07807 654716
Membership No: 019

JKC Property Management
Tel: 07807 654716
Membership No: 020

Paul Tinsley
Membership No: 021

Ronald Thornton
Membership No: 022

Carl Poole
Membership No: 023

Michael Godley
Membership No: 024

Sheila Walsh
Membership No: 025

A and N Estates
Membership No: 026

Carl John Render
Membership No: 027

Reeds Rains
Tel: 01652 654001
Membership No: 028

Leonara Bywater
Membership No: 029   

Andrew and Janet Murch
Tel: 07804 428351 
Membership No: 030

Estates UK Ltd & Estates GB Ltd
Tel: 01482 493344
Membership No: 031

Nicky Carter
Tel: 01652 633045
Membership No: 032

Nagan Jeremey
Membership No:033

Jane Marshall
Tel: 01670 787400
Membership No: 034

As a landlord you are obliged to protect your tenants' deposit within a Government authorised scheme. This came into effect from 1 October 2008 and there are three approved schemes:

If any other scheme is used your deposit is not protected in law. The scheme safeguards your deposit and resolves disputes over repayment of a deposit from a landlord at the end of a tenancy. It ensures tenants receive it back at the end of the tenancy if they are entitled to it.

We are given power under Section 126 and Schedule 9 of the Housing and Planning Act 2016 to impose a financial penalty called a 'Civil Penalty' as an alternative to prosecution. The maximum penalty which can be imposed is £30,000 and the amount of the penalty will be decided using our Civil Penalties Policy [PDF, 307 Kb].

A financial penalty can be imposed for the following offences:

  • failure to comply with an Improvement Notice (Section 30)
  • offences in relation to licensing of Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) (Section 72)
  • offences in relation to licensing of houses under Part 3 of the Act (Section 95)
  • offences of contravention of an Overcrowding Notice (Section 139)
  • failure to comply with Management Regulations in respect of HMOs (Section 234).

The use of the Civil Penalty does not prevent us from undertaking the works in default of the landlord.  

For further information, please see the Government's guidance on Civil Penalties under the Housing and Planning Act 2016.

Page last updated: 02 October 2018