[ skip to content]

Subscribe to updates
How do you work out my benefit entitlement?

How do you work out my benefit entitlement?

Your entitlement is worked out based on your circumstances. The two types of benefit administered by the council, are Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support.

You can apply for both, by claiming online on our Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support page.

When we work out your entitlement we take into account the following details:

  • How much money you have coming in each week
  • How much you have in savings and investments
  • Who lives in your household
  • The circumstances of any other adults who live with you

You can get an estimate of what you may get by using our Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction calculator:

Estimate your entitlement

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit is a central government benefit administered by local authorities, to help people on a low income to pay their rent.

If you rent your home from a private landlord we will use the Local Housing Allowance (LHA) rules.  LHA is based on the number of bedrooms your family need and not the actual size of the property you rent.

For more information on LHA, please visit the Valuation Office Agency website.

Council Tax Support

There are two types of council tax support:

  • Standard Council Tax Support

Anyone who has to pay Council Tax can apply for help through the local Council Tax Support scheme. This is means tested, based on your income and circumstances. To find out more, visit our Council Tax Support Scheme page.

  • Second Adult Rebate 

If you have other adults living with you, for example an adult son or daughter, but you are the only person who has to pay Council Tax on your home, you can apply for Second Adult Rebate.

You cannot get Council Tax Reduction and Second Adult Rebate at the same time. If your circumstances mean that you are entitled to both benefits, you will get the one which takes the most money off your Council Tax bill.

It can take up to 30 days for us to deal with your new claim, or change in circumstance.  We will write to you to tell you about the decision once it has been made.  Please do not contact us to check on the progress of your claim unless it has been 30 days since you completed the form.

Other sites of interest

Contact details

0300 3030164   
Fax: 01724 296104

Or write to:

Hewson House
Station Road
DN20 8XB 

Opening hours

Monday to Friday: 9am to 4.30pm

Last updated: 30/07/2018