[ skip to content]

Subscribe to updates
Universal Credit

Universal Credit

From 29 June 2015, single people in North and North East Lincolnshire of working age who are making a new claim for Job Seeker’s Allowance (JSA) may have to claim Universal Credit from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). 

Universal Credit is a single monthly payment which replaces the following:

  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Income-related Employment Support Allowance

Universal Credit was introduced in 2013 by the Government and is being rolled out across the country over a number of years. The intention of Universal Credit is to make the move from benefits to work significantly easier.

You will not be affected by Universal Credit if you are of pensionable age.

You can find out more information on the Universal Credit pages of GOV.UK, including a series of videos about Universal Credit.

The main differences between Universal Credit and the current welfare system are:

  • Universal Credit will be available to you if you are in work and on a low income, as well as to those who are out of work.
  • If you are on a low income and move in and out of work, you will get ongoing support, giving you more incentive to work for any period of time that is available.
  • If you are on a low income, it is likely that you will still be paid Universal Credit when you first start a new job or increase your part-time hours.
  • You will receive just one monthly payment in arrears, paid into a bank account in the same way as a monthly salary.
  • Support with housing costs will go direct to you, as part of your monthly payment.

From 29 June 2015, single people in North and North East Lincolnshire of working age who are making a new claim for Job Seeker’s Allowance (JSA) may have to claim Universal Credit from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). There are a number of key criteria which determine whether you are eligible to claim Universal Credit. The criteria are listed in the document Expansion Eligibility, which you can find in the Document Downloads on this page.

You will receive a single monthly payment of Universal Credit, which will include any housing costs you would previously have been paid by Housing Benefit.

This means you will be responsible for making arrangements to pay your rent.  You must speak to your landlord to make these arrangements.

If you are not eligible to claim Universal Credit, your welfare benefits will not change and you will still get Housing Benefit.

If you are a single Job Seeker’s Allowance (JSA) customer receiving Universal Credit, you will remain on Universal Credit even if you move into a relationship or have children. 

The wider roll out of Universal Credit to other customer groups will be phased in over the next several years.

If you are claiming Universal Credit, and you need help with paying your council tax, you will need to complete a separate application for local council tax support.

You can apply for a reduction to your council tax online: 

Apply for council tax support 

 You do not need to complete the parts of the form that ask about rent.

Information and support to help you with you Universal credit claim can be found in our Universal Credit and You booklets:

If you need help to undertake monthly budgeting, you can discuss this with you Universal Credit work coach who will arrange some additional support for you. 

If you have a Universal Credit claim and you have had a change in your circumstances, you must contact the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) on 0345 608 8545.

The Money Advice Service, set up by the Government, provides free and impartial money advice and offers:  

  • advice and guides to help improve your finances.
  • tools and calculators to help you keep track and plan ahead.
  • support in person, over the phone and on-line.

The Daily Jobseeker website features a range of helpful hints, tips and videos to help you find work. It is updated with new content every working day and includes advice directly from employers and recruiters. It also includes information about Universal Credit and the ways it can help you get back to work more quickly.


Contact details

0300 3030164
Fax: 01724 296104

Or write to:

Hewson House
Station Road
DN20 8XB 

Opening hours

Monday to Thursday: 9am to 5pm

Friday: 9am to 4.30pm

Related pages

Last updated: 01/02/2018